We reinstalled one of our nameservers with BSD 10.
Ive syced the RRA files over from RRDTool using the follwing command:
rsync -avz /usr/local/share/cacti/rra/ firstname.lastname@example.org:/home/cacti/rra/.
rsync -avz /local/directory email@example.com:/destination/dir/.
it kept on running on a high load if it ran the poller.php and cmd.php from cacti on it.
I coulda dig into it and maby? solve it, but we are running into like 400+ hosts and alotta dataqueries, so i knew spine is a cleaner and better way to poll hosts, so why not give it a try…
Ive gone to Console > Settings > Poller tab > And put it on Spine instead of cmd.php
It did not work instant, i had to edit the settings file /usr/local/etc/spine.conf and put in the MySQL database details
After this it filled 3/4 of the RRD database, but a few hosts kept showing there down, so i didnt get what was going on. After a while i discovered a chmod on the spine binairy was wrong.
So after a quick:
chmod a+s spine
On the binairy file it was sorted, and the 4 hosts that where showing there down where “up” and recovering again. Very wierd… still dont know why a few hosts needed this. These werent hosts that had any special plugins… lol
Hope this will help u on your quest to polled hosts,
gr gr Thomas